Mastering any casino games involves more than just an understanding of the rules of the game. There are some games where a lack of etiquette could cost a player the game. Both blackjack etiquette and roulette etiquette are essential to the game. If you’re interested in learning more about roulette or simply want to improve your skills, there is no better place to start than by brushing up on roulette table etiquette.
Some players may think roulette etiquette is only relevant to those who play in real world casinos. This is not the case. Even if you’re an online roulette player who has no intention of ever setting foot in a real world casino it’s important to have an understanding of roulette table etiquette. This will give a player an appreciation for the game that a player will otherwise sorely lack. And if nothing else, learning about roulette etiquette may help a player see the game in a new way.
Most of the time table etiquette is simply about being courteous toward other players and showing dealers and other casino employees the respect they deserve. Sometimes, however, a lack of etiquette can be misconstrued as cheating. It’s therefore in a player’s interest to master these basics before making a mistake which could cost the player the game.
Below you’ll find some of the main things to keep in mind when it comes to table etiquette for roulette.
- Once the dealer has announced “no more bets” players cannot place any more bets. Players should also refrain from touching any chips until the round is over. However there generally are a few minutes between each spin of the roulette wheel where bets can be placed.
- The winning numbers are determined by the slot into which the ball lands. The dealer will then place a marker (known as a dolly) above this slot to indicate winning number. The onus is on the dealer to then distribute any winnings. Players are forbidden from touching chips at this point and could be removed from the casino for doing so. Players should also avoid touching the dolly until the dealer has removed it from the table.
- In some cases such as when a player has placed a bet on even numbers, players can collect their own winnings from an outside bet box. This, however, is only once all other winnings have been paid. While a player won’t be removed from the table for doing this it is looked down on by some dealers. Such behaviour is best to be avoided.
- One of the biggest unwritten rules when it comes to the roulette table is that players should be polite and courteous towards other players and the dealer. Players should avoid fighting for a spot at the table. Most importantly players should avoid knocking over others chips and from engaging in behaviour such as drunkenness that may distract others.
- It’s always a good idea to consider tipping dealers who have done their job well. This should obviously be based on how well the dealer did his/ her job. Tips can be left when players leave the table or can be placed as an additional bet next to the players initial bet.
- When playing live roulette there are also all sorts of rules and table etiquette that players need to observe. For example, call bets aren’t always accepted in live roulette games. To make sure your call bet has been counted by the dealer, the dealer needs to repeat the bet. If the dealer doesn’t, the player can assume the best hasn’t been counted.
Having a good understanding of table etiquette won’t necessarily help a player win but it could win a player the respect of others. It’s also something which helps differentiate experienced players from new comers. Most experienced players will have an appreciation for the niceties of the games such as etiquette. So don’t miss out on a chance to really understand the inner workings of roulette. Brush up on your roulette table etiquette. You won’t regret it.
If you’re ready to try your hand at some roulette, be sure to give Mr Green Casino a try. And don’t worry, since it’s an online casino you won’t need to know too much about etiquette.